In Issue 6, we’re taking a look upward and beyond as a gentle reminder to not forget to look skyward, to see the beauty above, to take a breath of fresh air.
The 12 knitting patterns we’re so excited to share with you are inspired by everything we see when we take our eyes off the ground – the sky, the clouds, the buildings, the trees, the texture, the light. They’re complemented by the works of our artists and writers who remind us to stay present and connected, no matter where we are and what we see.
With Making Stories Magazine, we strive to feature companies and makers who focus on sustainability, transparency, fairness and equity in their work. We love telling their stories and hope to inspire and enable crafters to make conscious and informed decisions about the materials they use and the companies they support.
- Altocumulus Shawl by Fiona Alice in Isager Spinni & Silk Mohair
- Among The Trees Hat by Makenzie Alvarez in Garthenor Organic Number 3
- Boirina Sweater by Elena Solier Jansà in Bouclelaine Ouessant50
- Cirro Sweater by Valentina Cosciani in Biches & Bûches Le Petit Lambswool & Le Petit Silk & Mohair
- Dancing Skies Socks by Emily Joy Rickard in The Fibre Co. Amble
- Grassland T-Shirt by Susan Schädler in Gepard Garn Wild & Soft & Kid Seta
- Growing Ivy Scarf by Ayano Tanaka in Holst Garn Supersoft
- Ley Lines Sweater by Kjerstin Rovetta in byLaxtons Sheepsoft DK
- Orage Socks by Elena Solier Jansà in Mominoki Yarn Finnwool
- Sky Lines Wrap by Ksenia Naidyon in Uist Wool Astair 4ply
- Tropfen Sweater by Julia Exner in Annabel Williams Bluff Cove 4ply (now Darwin 4ply)
- Vitrail Socks by Audrey Borrego in woollentwine Corriedale Sock
- Annabel Williams – Bluff Cove 4ply (now Darwin 4ply)
- Biches & Bûches – Le Petit Lambswool & Le Petit Silk & Mohair
- Bouclelaine – Ouessant50
- byLaxtons – Sheepsoft DK
- Garthenor Organic – Number 3
- Gepard Garn – Wild & Soft & Kid Seta
- Holst Garn – Supersoft
- Isager – Spinni & Silk MOhair
- Mominoki Yarn – Finnwool
- The Fibre Co. – Amble
- Uist Wool – Astair 4ply
- woollentwine – Corriedale Sock
- Deborah Stack
- Luuanne Chau
- Susan Chin
WHAT’S SO SPECIAL ABOUT MAKING STORIES MAGAZINE?
We’re (to our knowledge) the only ad-free knitting magazine on the market today. We believe in preserving our independence when it comes to deciding who we feature and work with through not accepting any ads for this magazine.
We’re printing on 100% recycled paper, one of the few that’s certified not only with the EU Ecolabel and the Nordic Swan Ecolabel, but also with the Blauer Engel certificate.
We’re keeping production and fulfilment as local as possible, working with Druckhaus Berlin-Mitte as our printer, the first printer to be certified with Blauer Engel, and with Urbanmail as our fulfilment and shipping partner, both here in Berlin.
Who’s behind Making Stories Magazine?
Making Stories GmbH is an independent knitwear design publisher based in Berlin.
We believe in choosing to use resources and capacities, be they human, environmental, social or financial, in a way that can be sustained in the long run. We believe in being aware of and actively reflecting on all parts of our (work) process and communicating them openly and honestly. We believe in treating all living beings involved in our work fairly, respectfully and lovingly and in caring about and for their physical and mental well-being. We believe in not discriminating against anyone based on gender, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, age, health, physical appearance, economic situation, education or any other factor, being mindful of what that means for their lives and their stories and working towards a world where everyone is free to create the life they wish to live.